Since 1993, the Travis County Clerk has accepted the filing of Domestic Partnership Agreements and maintains a Registry of Domestic Partnerships. A Domestic Partnership Agreement is a document that describes the legal rights and responsibilities between two individuals of any gender in a long-term relationship. These documents are used for a variety of purposes. For example, some employers use them to grant insurance and other benefits.
Steps for Filing a Domestic Partnership Agreement
- Make an appointment with the county clerk’s office: 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX 78751.
- Bring proof of identity and age. Acceptable identification includes:
- Official copy of the applicant’s birth certificate;
- Driver’s license or state-issued identification card;
- Approved document issued by Texas or another state, the United States, or a foreign government (i.e., passport, visa, military identification, etc.).
- At the clerk’s office, the couple can complete and submit the sample Declaration of Domestic Partnership provided by our office or provide one of their own.
- The fee for filing a declaration is $26.00 for the first page and $4.00 for every additional page.