Travis County Clerk's Office is Issuing Marriage Licenses to Same Gender Couples
On June 26, 2015, the US Supreme Court issued its ruling on Marriage Equality cases which renders Texas laws limiting marriage to one man and one woman unconstitutionally invalid. The Court said in its opinion that, “The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity.”
After reviewing the ruling with the Travis County Attorney's office, the County Clerk Dana DeBeauvoir determined that her office was legally permitted to issue marriage licenses to eligible same gender couples, and did so beginning at 10:30 AM on June 26th.
Issuance of marriage licenses to continue:
- Location: 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin Texas 78751
Hours for marriage licenses to be issued:
- We are open 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except legal holidays.
- Proof of identity and age (possible documents: official copy of birth certificate, driver’s license or state-issued ID card, passport, visa, military identification)
- Social Security Number for each applicant (if the applicant has one). Note that applicants do not need to bring their Social Security Card
- More Information on Requirements for Obtaining a Marriage License
- $81.00 (may be paid with cash, or credit/debit cards, no checks accepted)
The fee may be waived for certain members of the military who are preparing to be deployed to a hostile-fire zone, and that the fee may be reduced for individuals who provide a certificate of completion of the Texas Twogether Program. Information on the program can be found at www.twogetherintexas.com
We only accept cash and credit card payments on Marriage License applications.
There is a transaction fee when a credit card is used for payment:
$3 charge for transactions less than $100 or a 3% charge for transactions of $100 or more.
The Clerk’s Office has staff available at 512-854-9188 to answer questions.