Commissioners Court

Marriage Licenses
MASKS REQUIRED in all Travis County Clerk offices. All divisions are operating by appointment only at this time. Please select the division name above to learn more about making appointments.

Schedule Your Appointment

Our office is operating by appointment only for all services. Click the button below to schedule your appointment.

Schedule Appointment

Effective July 1, 2020, we will only accept cash for Marriage License fees.

The Travis County Clerk issues marriage licenses at the 5501 Airport Boulevard Office in Austin, Texas. Listed below are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions we receive from couples ready to take this important step. If you need additional assistance, please contact us at (512) 854-9188.

See our search page to find information on marriage licenses and domestic partnerships that have been issued in Travis County.

Search Marriage LicensesApply for a Marriage License

Marriage License Waiting Period

There is a required 3-day waiting period between the time a marriage license is obtained and the ceremony (Texas Family Code, Chapter 2, Section 2.204 ). The marriage ceremony may not take place during the 72-hour period immediately following the issuance of the marriage license unless an applicant:

  • Is a member of the armed forces of the United States and on active duty,
  • Performs work for the United States Department of Defense as an employee or contract worker,
  • Obtains a written waiver PDF from a judge of a court with jurisdiction in family law cases, a justice of the supreme court, a judge of the court of criminal appeals, a county judge, or a judge of a court of appeals, or
  • Completes a premarital education course described by Texas Family Code Section 2.013 and provides the County Clerk with a course completion certificate indicating completion of the course within one year of the date the marriage license application is filed with the Clerk.

Marriage License Expiration

A marriage license is valid for 89 days from the date it is issued. A marriage license expires if it has not been used before the 90th day after it was issued. If a couple wishes to marry after the expiration date, a new license must be purchased.

Persons Authorized to Conduct Marriage Ceremonies

In Texas, the following persons are authorized to conduct marriage ceremonies:

  • A person who is an officer of a religious organization and who is authorized by the organization to conduct a marriage ceremony, or
  • A justice of the supreme court, judge of the court of criminal appeals, justice of the courts of appeals, judge of the district, county, and probate courts, judge of the county courts at law, judge of the courts of domestic relations, judge of the juvenile courts, retired justice or judge of those courts, justice of the peace, retired justice of the peace, judge of a municipal court, retired judge of a municipal court, or judge or magistrate of a federal court of this state, or retired judge or magistrate of a federal court of this state.

A person meeting the above requirements does not need to apply for permission to marry couples and does not need to register with the County Clerk.

Judges Who Perform Marriage Ceremonies in Travis County

PDF List of local judges who perform marriage ceremonies

Steps in Obtaining a Marriage License

  1. The couple must bring the following to the Travis County Clerk’s Airport Boulevard location (not the Travis County Courthouse):

    • Proof of identity and age using documents approved by state law. These may include an official copy of the applicant’s birth certificate, a driver’s license or state-issued identification card, or an approved document issued by Texas or another state, the United States, or a foreign government (i.e., passport, visa, military identification, etc.). For more proof of identity and age options, please call our office at (512) 854-9188.
    • The Social Security Number of each applicant (if the applicant has one). Applicants do not need to show a Social Security Card.
    • If divorced, and the divorce was finalized within the previous 30 days, an applicant must provide a certified copy of the divorce decree which states that the 30-day waiting period has been waived.

      If a previously-divorced applicant wishes to use her maiden name, she will need to provide identification showing that maiden name (such as a certified copy of her birth certificate or a certified copy of her divorce decree that states her name is to be changed).
  2. At the Clerk’s Office, the couple will complete a marriage license application and pay the $81.00 license fee. (Effective July 1, 2020, we will only accept cash for Marriage License fees.)

    Note: The Texas Twogether Program allows applicants to waive a portion of the marriage license fee if they complete a premarital education course and provide a certificate that the course was completed not more than one year before the date of the marriage license.

    Additionally, a member of the National Guard on federal active duty, or a member of the armed forces of the United States on active duty, who is preparing to be deployed to serve in a hostile fire zone as designated by the United States Secretary of Defense is exempt from marriage license fees.

  3. Following the ceremony, the person authorized to conduct the service must date, sign, and note the county where the ceremony occurred on the certificate. The marriage license must then be returned to the Travis County Clerk’s Office within 30 days from the ceremony date. Once the office receives the license, it will be copied and filed and the original will be returned to you.

    The completed marriage license can be returned in person to the Clerk’s office or mailed to the following address:

    Recording Division
    Travis County Clerk
    PO Box 149325
    Austin, TX 78714

Special Circumstances

Proxy Marriage or Absent Applicant

Texas law does allow certain exceptions to the requirement that both applicants appear before the County Clerk to apply for a marriage license. In such situations, another adult may apply on behalf of the absent applicant. The adult present needs to provide some form of ID for the absent applicant. In most cases, this will require the completion of one of the following affidavits:

PDF Instructions for Affidavit of Absent Applicant
PDF Affidavit of Absent Applicant

If you have questions regarding these forms or a situation not described above (such as the inability of both applicants to appear), please contact our office at (512) 854-9188.

Underage Applicants

Effective September 1, 2017
Texas Family Code 2.003 states, A person under the age of 18 years of age may not marry unless the person has been granted by this state or another state a court order removing the disabilities of minority of the person for general purposes.

Please contact our office at (512) 854-9188 for information.

The Travis County Clerk maintains the county's records, administers elections, and oversees legal documentation (such as property deeds, marriage licenses and assumed name certificates).

Main Phone Line: (512) 854-9188 | 24 Hour Voter Hotline: (512) 238-VOTE (8683) | Election Division: (512) 854-4996 | Misdemeanor Division: (512) 854-9440