Commissioners Court

Marriage and Domestic Partnership Resources

Important Update

Our Recording Division is open and assisting customers by appointment only at this time. Please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to schedule an appointment at our next available time. For Marriage License appointments, please provide applicant names and ceremony date and in the email to ensure the appointment time meets the 72 hour waiting period.

All requests are handled in the order they are received and can take up to 15 business days for a response. Please DO NOT send multiple email requests as this will delay responses.

Helpful Links

Changing Your Name after Marriage

If you want to change your name after you are married, you will want to consider notifying important government agencies of your decision (for instance, the Texas Department of Public Safety requires notification of name changes within 30 days ). In some cases, you will be required to show proof of your marriage. A copy of your marriage certificate is often accepted as a legal record to document this change. Certified copies of your marriage license can be purchased from our office. Many individuals use a certified copy of their license when conducting business matters and keep their original marriage license in a safe place as a keepsake.

Agencies you may want to contact include:

For a fee, some companies offer services to manage your name change with these governmental agencies. While you may want to pay for this convenience, please be aware that often these agencies do not charge for name changes.

HIV/AIDS Information

Texas county clerks are required to provide marriage license applicants with information about HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome). More information about HIV and AIDS can be found at www.dshs.state.tx.us/hivstd/info/hiv/ .

The Travis County Clerk maintains the county's records, administers elections, and oversees legal documentation (such as property deeds, marriage licenses and assumed name certificates).

Main Phone Line: (512) 854-9188 | 24 Hour Voter Hotline: (512) 238-VOTE (8683) | Election Division: (512) 854-4996 | Misdemeanor Division: (512) 854-9440