Commissioners Court

Informal Marriage

Important Update

Our Recording Division is open and assisting customers by appointment only at this time. Please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to schedule an appointment at our next available time. For Marriage License appointments, please provide applicant names and ceremony date and in the email to ensure the appointment time meets the 72 hour waiting period.

All requests are handled in the order they are received and can take up to 15 business days for a response. Please DO NOT send multiple email requests as this will delay responses.

Effective July 1, 2020, we will only accept cash for Marriage License fees.

A couple may sign a Declaration of Informal Marriage (Texas Family Code, Subchapter E ). To be eligible for an informal license, both participants must be over 18. Applicants for informal marriages are asked to sign the following declaration and oath:

“I solemnly swear (or affirm) that we, the undersigned, are married to each other by virtue of the following facts: on or about (date) we agreed to be married, and after that date we lived together as husband and wife and in this state we represented to others that we were married. Since the date of marriage to the other party I have not been married to any other person. This declaration is true and the information in it which I have given is correct.”

See our search page to find marriages and domestic partnerships that have been issued in Travis County.

Search Marriage Licenses

Steps in Obtaining a Declaration of Informal Marriage

  1. The couple must bring the following to the Travis County Clerk’s Airport Boulevard location (not the Travis County Courthouse):

    • Proof of identity and age using documents approved by state law. These may include an official copy of the applicant’s birth certificate, a driver’s license or state-issued identification card, or an approved document issued by Texas or another state, the United States, or a foreign government (i.e., passport, visa, military identification, etc.). For more proof of identity and age options, please call our office at (512) 854-9188.

    • The Social Security Number of each applicant (if the applicant has one). Applicants do not need to show a Social Security Card.
  2. At the Clerk’s Office, the couple will complete a Declaration of Informal Marriage License and pay the $46.00 fee. The Declaration of Informal Marriage will show the date the couple agreed to be married. The date can be the current date or any prior date the couple could legally marry.

The Travis County Clerk maintains the county's records, administers elections, and oversees legal documentation (such as property deeds, marriage licenses and assumed name certificates).

Main Phone Line: (512) 854-9188 | 24 Hour Voter Hotline: (512) 238-VOTE (8683) | Election Division: (512) 854-4996 | Misdemeanor Division: (512) 854-9440