Commissioners Court

MASKS REQUIRED in all Travis County Clerk offices. All divisions are operating by appointment only at this time. Please select the division name above to learn more about making appointments.

Schedule Your Appointment

Our office is operating by appointment only for all services. Click the button below to schedule your appointment.

Schedule Appointment

Q: How do my partner and I get a marriage license? What do we need to bring with us?

A: Usually, both applicants need to come into the County Clerk’s office, submit the required documentation, and pay the marriage licensing fee. For more information, see Marriage Licenses.

Q: Is there a mandatory waiting period between when we get our marriage license and when we can get married?

A: In most cases, Texas law requires a 3-day waiting period. However, there are some exceptions.

Q: When we visit your office, how long will it take to get our marriage license?

A: It varies, but the process typically takes 20 minutes or so. From 11:00 am - 2:00 pm, waits may be longer. At 8:00 am, the office is often less busy.

Q: How do I change my last name after I get married?

A: For information about documenting your name change with various agencies, see Marriage and Domestic Partnership Resources.

Q: I’m engaged but my partner will be absent for the ceremony. Can I download an Affidavit of Absentee Applicant or Affidavit of Absent Applicant Who Is Incarcerated off of your site?

A: Yes. Download them here:

PDF Affidavit of Absentee
PDF Affidavit of Absentee Who Is Incarcerated

Q: Which judges in Travis County perform marriage ceremonies? What fees do they charge?

A: You may find a list of judges who perform ceremonies PDF on the Marriage and Domestic Partnership Resources page. Judges set their own fees.

Q: How do I register with the Travis County Clerk’s Office to perform a marriage ceremony?

A: Texas law sets the requirements for who may perform marriages. If you meet these requirements, you do not need to register with the Travis County Clerk’s Office to perform a marriage; you will, however, need to enter your information where indicated on the marriage license. Find additional information on the Marriage Licenses page.

Q: What kinds of relationship services other than a formal marriage does the Travis County Clerk’s Office offer?

A: We offer services related to informal marriages and domestic partnerships. Find additional information on the Informal Marriage and Domestic Partnership pages.


Q: I just started a business. How do I file a business name or DBA?

A: The answer to this is fairly complicated. In general, a “Doing Business As” name (DBA) is filed with the county clerk of the county in which the business operates, but there are several conditions and qualifiers to this statement. Find additional information on the “Doing Business As” (DBAs) page. We also recommend contacting the Texas Secretary of State and/or an attorney.

Q: What licenses or permits do I need to conduct business in Travis County?

A: The Travis County Clerk’s Office does not provide information about licensing and permitting. You may contact the Texas Department of Economic Development and Tourism for guidance, or if you need assistance in finding legal services, please see our list of Legal Resources.

Q: When filing DBAs, do all parties on the certificate need to be present?

A: None of the parties actually need to be present to submit a completed DBA certificate. If you wish to have a signature acknowledged by the Travis County Clerk’s Office, the person whose signature is to be acknowledged must be present to sign. For more details on submitting a certificate, visit the “Doing Business As” (DBAs) page.

Birth and Death Records

Q: For what years does the Travis County Clerk’s Office keep birth and death records? Where do I go to obtain a copy of a birth or death record?

A: With few exceptions, birth and death certificates can be found at the City of Austin’s Vital Records Office or at the Texas Vital Statistics Office . In Travis County, the Clerk is not the local registrar for all birth and death certificates. If these offices cannot locate the Travis County record you are looking for, contact us.

Q: Where do I file a birth or death certificate?

A: In almost all cases, these records are not filed by the general public. If you have questions concerning these filings, please call us at (512) 854-9188.


Q: Where can I find a list of foreclosed properties going up for sale?

A: You may search non-tax-related foreclosure listings on this site. The Travis County Tax Assessor-Collector lists tax-related foreclosures.

Q: I need to change information on an existing deed. Does the Travis County Clerk’s Office provide blank forms for recording property deeds?

A: The Clerk’s Office does not provide these forms, and the Clerk cannot modify a recorded document. We cannot give specific advice on this matter because the Texas Government Code disallows the Travis County Clerk from rendering any service requiring the use of legal skill or knowledge, such as the preparing of any instrument. If you need assistance in finding legal services, please see our list of Legal Resources.

Q: Your office shows a lien against me. How do I pay it off? How do I check to see if any liens are on my property?

A: To check for liens, you may search our records . We index documents by the names appearing on the documents. Depending on the type of lien, the property owner may be either the grantor or the grantee. The Travis County Clerk cannot give advice on how to pay off or otherwise handle liens. The Texas Government Code disallows the Travis County Clerk from rendering any advice requiring the use of legal skill or knowledge. Please do not send payment to the Clerk’s Office for any lien, since these payments cannot be accepted. If you need assistance in finding legal services, please see our list of Legal Resources.

Q: Where do I file for a homestead exemption?

A: Homestead exemptions for tax purposes are filed at the Travis County Central Appraisal District . To record a homestead affidavit (which indicates a person’s intent for a particular property to be a homestead), you may file in person at our office, file by mail, or eFile.

Q: Can I get a copy of my property survey?

A: Surveys are not normally recordable documents, so our office does not keep records of them. Our office will not have a copy unless it was recorded as an exhibit to another document (which is very uncommon). You may wish to contact the surveyor.

Q: Where do I find the title for my mobile home?

A: The County Clerk does not keep these records. Visit the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs website to locate mobile home titles.

Q: How do I request for my social security number to be removed from public record?

A: Redaction requests must be submitted to the County Clerk's Office by mail or in person. (Personal Information Redaction Form)


Q: I’ve just learned that livestock brands now expire every ten years. How do I renew or record a new brand?

A: The county clerk of each Texas county maintains a registry of brands in that county. All marks and brands expire on a State set date after a ten-year period. Current marks and brands will expire after August 30, 2011. A person may record marks and brands in as many counties as necessary, regardless of whether or not the marks or brands have been previously recorded. For additional information, please visit www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/AG/htm/AG.144.htm . View related fees on the Fee Schedule page.

Q: Is there a substation for the Travis County Clerk’s Recording Division?

A: Most of the operations of the Recording Division take place at the Airport Boulevard location, not at the Travis County Courthouse. A portion of our archived records is managed or viewable at the Courthouse location, but most requests for documents should come through the Airport Boulevard location. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. There is no substation for the Recording Division.

Q: I am interested in exploring the Clerk’s library of very old records. How can I go about this?

A: Call us at (512) 854-9188 and ask for the Records Management Division.

The Travis County Clerk maintains the county's records, administers elections, and oversees legal documentation (such as property deeds, marriage licenses and assumed name certificates).

Main Phone Line: (512) 854-9188 | 24 Hour Voter Hotline: (512) 238-VOTE (8683) | Election Division: (512) 854-4996 | Misdemeanor Division: (512) 854-9440