Commissioners Court


If you need assistance in finding legal services, please see our list of Legal Resources.

Q: I was served with a citation. What do I do now?

A: Contact your attorney.

Q: How do I take care of a judgment on my credit report?

A: The Federal Trade Commission has information for consumers who need to correct errors on their credit reports. Visit www.ftc.gov for details. If the judgment is not in error, you may want to consult your attorney to determine options available to you.

Q: I have appealed a case from the Justice of the Peace. What happens next?

A: The documents in the case are sent to the County Clerk’s Civil Division. The appeal means that the case will be heard by the County Court at Law as a new case. You will receive a notice requiring you to pay the filing fee; if the filing fee is not paid (or if the appellant does not file an Statement of Inability to Afford Payment of Court Costs or an Appeal Bond PDF), the case may be remanded (sent back) to the Justice of the Peace court. Either party may set a hearing and notify the other party. To set a hearing, contact the Court Operations Officer at (512) 854-9241. It is recommended that you consult an attorney or have an attorney represent you.

Q: I am being evicted. What do I do?

A: Eviction cases are filed in the Justice of the Peace court. Read the citation. It will tell you which JP court is hearing the case and what you may have to do to protect your interests.

Q: I need an occupational driver’s license. How do I do that?

A: Consult your attorney. The Clerk may not assist in the preparation of any application or petition, nor can we advise any litigant if the application is filed correctly. If the Court does not grant the occupational license, the filing fees are not refundable.

Q: What is a bond forfeiture case?

A: A bond forfeiture case is filed when a misdemeanor defendant has failed to appear for a hearing or trial. If an answer is not filed in a timely fashion, the plaintiff may take a default judgment. Contact your attorney or the County Attorney’s Office at (512) 854-9415.

Q: When is the uncontested docket heard?

A: Docket information can be found at the Travis County Civil Courts at Law website .

Q: What if I cannot afford my court costs?

A: If you are indigent (suffering from financial hardship as defined by the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure PDF), you may want to file an Affidavit of Inability to Pay Costs PDF as described in those rules and file it with your petition or application. These forms are also available in Room 222 in the Courthouse. If you are represented by an attorney and are considered indigent under Texas Rules, your attorney may present a statement that the representation is pro bono (in other words, free).

Adobe Acrobat Declaración sobre Incapacidad de Pago de Costas de Tribunal y Fianza de Apelación

Q: How can I check the status of my case and view related documents?

A: Check our Search Online Case Data and Documents page for information.

Q: How do I get money that has been deposited in the court registry?

A: The Court may order the Clerk to disburse money from the court registry. Please complete the attached motion PDF and order PDF. You may mail them or efile them, if you wish. You may bring them to the Court’s uncontested docket (8:30 to 9:00 am and 1:30 to 2:00 pm each business day). You need to bring with you an identification card or document with your photograph (valid driver’s license, passport, etc.) for the Clerk to authorize payment. If the money has been in an interest-bearing account, bring the photo ID, birth certificate, and Social Security card.

If the money was deposited for a child, bring your driver’s license or passport, your photo ID, and a certified copy of your birth certificate.  If the name of the child has been changed, please bring documentation (e.g., adoption order, marriage certificate, order to change name) to support the name change.

All mailed documents must be witnessed and signed by a notary.

Bring a completed IRS Form W-9 (available at www.irs.gov/Forms-&-Pubs ) if you do not have one on file with our office completed in the past five years.

You should receive a check in six weeks.

The Travis County Clerk maintains the county's records, administers elections, and oversees legal documentation (such as property deeds, marriage licenses and assumed name certificates).

Main Phone Line: (512) 854-9188 | 24 Hour Voter Hotline: (512) 238-VOTE (8683) | Election Division: (512) 854-4996 | Misdemeanor Division: (512) 854-9440